Rules of Dieting Don't Ditch These Foods
Most people think that dieting means cutting out loads of their favourite foods so going on a "diet" can be either short lived or thrown into the "too hard" basket! The truth is, you really don't have to cut out things like bread, fats and grains to loose weight!
Bread The reason why most people cut bread out is because it is high in carbohydrates. However, if we cut carbs out of our diets for too long serotonin levels in our brain drop. Serotonin is a neurochemical, which makes us feel happy. When our serotonin levels drop so do our moods. Think about what you crave when you're not happy: sugar and carbs! And it's often a binge on chocolate and/or bread! So the key is keep carbs in the diet but just in moderation!
Pasta Like bread, pasta contains lots of carbohydrates. Carbs are our primary source of energy so if we don't burn them off, they store in the body as fat! The key with any grain is to go for "whole grains" this means they have a higher nutritional and fiber content. Because they have more fiber they will keep you feeling fuller for longer so you will be less inclined to snack if you're trying to shed weight.
Rice Rice is another carbohydrate. Carbs are super important but if you want to loose weight then try to go light on the carbs at dinnertime. Carbs are fine to eat at breaky and lunch times because you've got the whole day to burn the energy off.
Foods containing fat Whenever I go on a cleanse fat stays in my diet! It's the key player when it comes to making our skin glow! Plus good fats found in raw nuts and seeds, avocado and deep sea fish are linked to a host of health benefits such as improved brain health, decreased inflammation in the body and even reduced cholesterol!
Red Meat Red meat can be a healthy option as it's a ripper source of protein and contains no carbohydrates! Protein is one of the things, which keeps us feeling full. The healthiest red meats are lamb and kangaroo, these guys contains the lowest amounts of saturated fats.
Fruit Fruit contains fructose, which is great for giving us a bit of energy. It's a great alternative to chocolate bars and lollies! Plus if you're exercising more on your diet, chances are you'll be sweating more and needing more electrolytes in your diet. Including fruit in your diet is a great way to up the amount of electrolytes you're consuming!
Treats Chocci and bikkies: One of my mottos is 80/20! So 80% of the time you go for nutrient dense whole foods like nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, whole grains and legumes. The other 20% of the time you can treat yourself! So don't feel like you have to miss out on your favo treaties just because you're dieting! Treats are fine a few times a week!
Dairy Dairy is quite hard for the body to digest and break down, so I'm very pro coming off diary for a cleanse. Often people feel much better when they pull dairy out of the diet. There are so many milk alternatives out there; try oat, almond, soy, millet and even brazil nut milk!
Alcohol Getting off the grog is a pretty important one when it comes to doing a little detox as it gives a liver a chance to clean out the rest of your body. If you do want to drink go for either organic wines or clear spirits as they are considered to be the most "pure" options!
The most important tip is to have fun with a new eating plan or detox. If you feel restricted you wont enjoy it! Give it a whirl; try out some new recipes like a quinoa salad and step outside the square!
Lola is a leading Australian Nutritionist and self-confessed 'health nut' who passionately inspires people to better their everyday lives. Meet Lola on Facebook
By: Lola Berry