Saving Tips You Haven’t Heard
Buying a home or investment property is such an exciting experience and an achievement to be proud of. Saving a deposit for property can be hard work but budgeting doesn’t have to cut out all the fun. Most people know the generic savings tips such as cutting back on coffees or buying gas on a Tuesday but below are a few unique saving tips, you may not have heard of, to help you along the way.
- Don’t put yourself in a situation where you will be tempted to break the budget. Just because you are saving doesn't mean you need to turn into a hobbit. Meet your friends but go without your wallet or only take the cash you can afford to spend.
- Have fun, just be smarter about it. Find the local entertainment bargains. Many councils and local cinemas hold movie screenings, festivals and music events. This is also a great opportunity to support your local community.
- Learn to say no. Yep, it’s time for tough love: think about your priorities and be more selective with what (and sometime who) you spend your money on.
- Get a girlfriend! Whilst we don’t have official statistics on this; our brokers have noticed that the women often have more savings than the men for joint applications. You may just end up shouting less money on drinks for your mates and keeping more money in your savings account!
- Be inspired and focus on what you are saving for. Think about how rewarding it will feel to be in your very own home! Remember, half the time the journey is more fun that the destination. Research the area you want to buy in, collect images of the properties you are interested in and think about how you would like to decorate it. If you want some home inspirations to get you started follow us on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/loanmarket/.
We’re sure you’ve heard the ‘ask yourself if you really need it’ saving tip however we are approaching it in a different way - ask yourself if you really need it brand new or forever.
- Websites like freecycle.org help connect people who want to give items away to people who really want them. Looking for a free fridge OR want to get rid of an old cupboard without paying a removalist? This site can help you with all of that.
- Want to borrow a ladder drill instead of renting or buying? Websites like friendswiththings.com.au connects people who are happy to share or swap services within their local neighbourhood.
- Host a ‘switcheroo’ event. Invite the girls over and have them bring items of clothing they haven’t worn for 12 months. A wardrobe cleanse and a new outfit will make you feel like a million dollars.
- Become a ‘freegan’. I know we all smirk when we see a person pouring through the council clean ups but they could be on to something. At times you can pick up some great wooden pieces you can make your own. Sand it back and add a fresh coat of paint (get the sample tin) and it feels brand new.
If you would like to discuss how we can make your savings goals work towards purchasing your dream home, please don’t hesitate to contact Loan Market today. Happy savings!